As for the expense, it's a "you get what you pay for" kind of situation. There a some as low as fifty dollars, and I have seen some over eight hundred. The more expensive it is, the more features it has. But I don't see why anyone would need to spend more than $250 on a bread maker. I received one for my birthday, and it is amazing. Besides bread, they can make Jams and Yogurt. At least mine can, and some others may offer more. This one even has a fifteen hour delay timer, so you could wake up every morning to fresh baked bread.
What it comes down to is, figure out what you want from your bread machine, and find one that does just that. They are handy, great little machines, and there is nothing like fresh baked homemade bread!
Pictured here is a two pound loaf I made using a bread machine. I have included my recipe below, so give it a try and let me know what you think!
Note: Makes a 2 Pound Loaf
Special Tools or Equipment Needed: Bread Machine
- 1 1/2 Cups Cold Water
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Bread Flour
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Instant Yeast or Bread Machine Yeast
- Add Ingredients to your removable bread pan in the order that your machine says to. I have them listed in the order my machines states.
- Make sure the pan is locked in place and close your machine.
- Use Setting #1 or Basic on your Bread Machine and adjust settings for a two pound loaf. If your machines has a crust setting, adjust that as well. Mine has a Light, Medium, or Dark setting option. I prefer medium crust with this recipe.
- Press Start and wait for your bread machine to work it's magic!